Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Saturday, August 18, 2012

So I went and got my son

When I called the place about spending the night after Alex asked me too, they said I was free to either be there or take him home.   At any time. Guess what I chose?  It is way easier to drive down the street for a few minutes than circle the globe to rescue a child.  I was in the car as I was hanging up the phone. 

I went and got my son from the place that could not keep him safe. I told them I was coming and to get his meds ready.  I turned on a mobile microphone was I walked onto the property.

When I got to the unit, the door to his room was propped open (a facility safety violation):  he was huddled in the middle of the bed with the covers over him and the lights on. He was in the midst of a violent nightmare. No body cared. All the therapeutic supports other doctors had put in place to deal with his PTSD and nightmares were absent.

Alex was hard to rouse. When I did he was not in pull-ups which he needs for the nightmares which literally scare him to death.  They scare me to death too. 

I packed hurriedly but calmly while trying to Alex to rouse. At some point a person came in to confront me and tell me I was being too loud and she tried to escalate me into active confrontation.  I refused to comply.  I moved to the front of unit and waited for his meds that I orignally sent with him and to sign him out.

They stalled.  And continued to stall.  I signed the paperwork with a slight adjustment.  Then they could not find his shoes.  They could not find the med bottles.  And they continued to stall.  The person in the car waiting for us with the engine running called me and told me there were other cars arriving.  And they were not the police.  We were on private property and I was worried.

I took that call and started for the door.  I said I would come for his meds tomorrow.

They first attempted to move to block me and then halted.  They then said they would help us out.  I told Alex to get the rolling bag and move, we were ready to go.  Alex moved.  He was also ready to leave this place that wasn't safe.

Then we got in the car and drove away.  Within literally two minutes of us leaving that private property they called me to say they had found his meds and to come back.  I said we would be back first thing in the morning.

As we drove home Alex was feeling wierd and wanting to vomit.  I tried to call the unit back and they were back on voicemail. 

When I got Alex back home, he told me that the abrasion on his newly reconstructed cheek was from a rock being thrown at him.  His hands have severe burns on them from what I am not sure. 

They attempted to say I removed him from harm against medical advice.  I do not know but him suffering sexual abuse, having damage done to a newly reconstructed cheek and suffering severe burns on his hands do not seem like good medical advice. 

Alex may get up tomorrow and escalate so that I have to call the police, have him transported and deal with ER fallout.  I do know this - in that senario he will not be helplessly subjected to sexual abuse, or be being phsycially significantly damaged. 

Nobody should ever tell me that my son being sexually abused is a "risk of treatment."  Especially since they never even bothered to learn his name.  So I went and got my son.  He sleeps without nightmare tonight. 

No comments: