Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Monday, August 20, 2012

Another day, another trip to the Emergency Room

It was such a great day.  We went to the zoo.  My family went with a good friend and the young daughter of another friend.  My kids adore that little girl and she adores them.  We saw many of the animals.  We fed and petted parrots.  Alex kept trying to get them to land on his hand and got pecked instead.  He laughed about it all.  The kids pounded drums and bells in the African section.  The kids brushed the goats in the petting zoo.  I pushed them in the zoo cart when they felt too lazy to walk to the next exhibit.  Pictures were taken.  There was an awesome train ride throughout entire park structure.  Alex and I looked into the upper canopy of the avery after lunch marveling at all the most amazing birds.  It was a very happy day.

Then we came home.  I started to take a nap while Alex got on the computer but then I got back up.  Something did not feel right.  I saw him begin to become agitated.  I started dinner and watched him.  After awhile I called our county mental health crisis line.  A first for us but all the professionals have been advocating it if at all possible before calling 911.  They came and assessed Alex.  They called the police. 

Alex was literally in the middle of a PTSD flashback related mostly likely to what he had experienced during the intreatment last week given what appeared to surround the agitation and what he was saying.

To the children's hospital we went.  Alex was so cooperative and he even let me set in the back with him.  We get to ER and everyone "does the room clear drill" and gets ready to administer the medication.  I know all the people now except one nurse that was assigned to us tonight but she had been there last week and knew the history.  Alex's rages in the ER are losing any heat or harm. 

I told them all what was going on about his admittance to residential treatment, the abuse he suffered there, how it was handled and how I went in and took him home against medical advice in order to keep him safe.  Nobody argued with me.  They just told me to keep bringing him back to the ER and they would do what they could.

We have now been there so many times, the ENTs no longer have to say his name when calling them about arrival, they just say that a nine-year-old is being transported for behavior issues.  They all know it is Alex.  They all know I am fighting to save him.  They also know he is the safest with me. 

So we did the medication drill and then went home after he was totally asleep. 

It was nice to have the mental health crisis team get here today and confirm that Alex was literally in the middle of a PTSD flashback while the situation was disintegrating.

The children's hospital is convinced that the day treatment portion of the facility that committed Alex to residental will take him back tomorrow.  They seemed a little lost that Trillium had not already given me this option when I picked Alex up Friday night. 

I do not know, we will see.

The situation just needs to be what it needs to be for Alex.  No more harm.  And at the heart of everything, I think Alex is working out what it means to have a mom.  The behavior is not good, I will grant you that.  Given he was abandoned by an adoptive mom in Russia who told him to wait until she came back, Alex has a lot of safety and mom issues all tangled together. 

So I do not where we go from here.  I do know that I will get up in a few hours and start working on an answer again.  I hear Alex moaning in his sleep.  I think must go and hold him for awhile.  My sweetheart of a son. 
 



No comments: