Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Quick update on the bullying issue

The van driver that assaulted Alex last spring has been fired and put on a child abuse watch list.

The teacher aide that threw him to the ground last Spring before my horrified eyes, has been disciplined to the maximum extent possible under the strong teacher union rules and been given educational opportunities.

Others were reassigned.  The school district is in the process of providing a full response about the original bullying complaint.  The principal personally apologized to me and told me it had been delegated and then not addressed.

Alex is being given a lot of support to address no further harm happening to him.

Does it make up for this very difficult summer - no.

Do I think people are trying to stop it now - yes.  Maybe. 

Alex's most awesome psychologist is absolutely insisting on screening and training any daily assistant assigned to Alex for protection and assistance.

I told that august body of district people that the bullying stemmed from Alex's cleft palate situation and they need to address how disfigured children are not allowed to function in a normal school setting.   

A lot of pieces swirl.  I think none of us adults ever understood the human cost of being a severe cleft palate child.  Regardless, Alex is right, it needs to stop. 

I case I haven't said it recently, he is my hero.  It was an awesome day when God let me be his mom. 

No comments: