Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Monday, September 8, 2008

Dusting and Tidying up some last minute issues on the list ...

I traveled to Seattle this week for training since I am still waiting to go to Russia. It is kind of a cool class about leadership styles and techiques. It was on my list of things to take if I had time and seemed to be a good time. Two weeks ago I recertified for First Aid and CPR. It is interesting how things change over time and there is a lot of new and good information out there. The EMT who taught the class was fantastic and because he has two small children and was able to give the class additional tips about first aid for children which was a nice bonus. He also had an infant dummy to practice CPR with and it made a world of difference to experience what that might be like. I have read about the procedure but had never really had a chance to practice it. I personally was really happy to discover my my hands would comfortably span a baby thereby allowing me to use my thumbs for CPR while supporting the little one. Of course I am adopting an older child but I feel so much more comfortable about giving CPR to a little one.

Ironically, on the way to that class a cyclist crashed into the back of a stopped car right in front of me. As I learned in the class we all did everything right. Apparently, stopping was the first thing. Calling 911 as we were running to the downed man was another. The book from the class also listed the Russian equivlant of 911 and it is totally getting put on my phone before I go back. I so love my cell phone. Thank goodness the cyclist was conscious and the emergency people got there super fast. It made me a few minutes late to class but as the EMT said during introductions - what is being a little late to something if you save a life? At the break I told him why I was late and he just smiled.

Anyway, I am getting things done. The cross stitch project is almost done but for a few more rays on the halo. Unfortunately the orange trim awaits for my return home. Believe it or not I pretty much took the summer off from my Russian studies. Yes, I listen to Russian music and the Cheburashka CD but for the most part I took a break. Okay for I practice conversation senarios when I ride into work in the morning but I think that may not count.


That being said, I have spoken with the universty department and they are willing to work with my need to be in Russia for the little one so back to class I will go. They want me to also take the phonetics class this year to help with the little one's speech issues and I am thinking about that. I both look forward to the language class itself and dread it at the same time. I love it because I love the language which seems so lyrical to me. I love the flow of the words. I love writing it. At the same time I think all Russians must be very smart because it is such a difficult language to learn. I remember my first quarter. During finals Galina our teacher left the room (it is not as if we could cheat from one another) and one of the student finally started banging her head on the table. Literally. It made us all laugh.

It is not an easy language quickly learned. But is rewarding. Recently, at work someone introduced me to a city police officer working with my agency who was from Russia. We talked briefly and someone asked him - could you understand her? He said yes, she speaks Russian. That is good enough for me.

So as I sit and try to be patient (I was such a wiggler on Sunday mornings) I reflect on being thankful that I still have time to fuss with details in getting ready for the little one to finally be home. From the beginning it was my intent to give the child I adopted the very best life I could. I mean that from every level. Since life is never perfect I continue to find little bits I want to fuss with. Once he gets here everything will change I will have no time for all the fussing which is how it should be. Once he is here that is when it all begins and I cannot wait. Of course until then I will I just need to stop wiggling and fussing :) I hope this posts finds everyone well. I keep you in my prayers and I hope that you will keep me in either your prayers or thoughts. Have a fantastic Tuesday and take care, Sarah :)

1 comment:

Carey and Norman said...

You're so funny. You make me laugh because I can see you speaking Russian to yourself.

Maybe it is time for some more carrot juice?