Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Be a Warrior Mom

Once there was a little bunny who wanted to run away. So he said to his mother, "I am running away."

"If you run away," said his mother, "I will run after you. For you are my little bunny."

from The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown.
 
 
Be there for your child.  And get them help.  Where Alex is appears to be a great place.  They do what I have been taught to do for years with a trauma child.  They listen to what I say will happen and then when it does, they validate that I told it would happen.  It appears we are all on the same page about Alex.  Thank god. 
 
Staff told me that Alex was desperately missing me today and even calmed down for them so that he could call me. 
 
Finally, finally, finally - contact with me became a reward on Alex's terms.  The young one still was harsh but he kept telling me he loved me - which I told him back of course.  He had a list of stuff he wants from home.  He then hung up before I could ask staff if it was allowed. 
 
That is the trauma child - desperately needing loving reassurance, followed up with requests for stuff and then exercises in control towards the loving parent.  It takes strength to love the traumatized child.
 
I remember that on the trip down he asked me, "why are you always there for me and keep doing things for me?"  That was a question from his heart.  He needed to know why I was still there with him.  I answered, "because that is what Moms do; it is our job."  I am the Mother that runs after her little bunny because he is mine.  I will not stop.  Every bunny needs a Mother - especially Alex. 
 
I cried a lot yesterday but today I got back up on my feet.  I am a warrior Mom.  I will not stop.


No comments: