Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Dare to Love Your Child No Matter What

There are so many people in my daily life that affirm and support me as I be this Warrior Mom I am able to do what I must do.  I love my child no matter what.  I joyfully dare to do so.  My best current supports are my mother and daughter who continue to infuse each of my days with such hope and love.  And joy.  So much joy.  And I thank God for that family joy every day.

It is the unsung heroes that support me fully as I maintain the Warrior Mom stance that help me survive this challenging time.  It takes a village to raise a child.  That is a correct perspective.

Without the unsung heroes in my life, and there are many, I could not continue what I do - every day.  These unsung heroes some times just give a hug or maybe help me deal with a daily issue that threatens to make me sit down and cry.  Sometimes they just let me talk about things - things they would never care about but I need to verbally process so that I can move past it.  Sometimes these unsung heroes allow me to simply do my job and still trust I will do what needs to be done.  Sometimes these unsung heroes still offer to be my friend even though they know I struggle with difficult issues.  I am humbled by the people I know.

I know a lot of heroes.  And I am grateful that I do.  They support me as I continue to defy strangers' counsel to walk away and no longer care. 

What I am learning is that one must listen to your heart.  If you refuse to hear the calls to quit the field and stand firm on getting your child help, it will happen.  During this process people, doctors and possibly agencies will start to say less than okay things about you.  Do not abandon your child when you are attacked.  Do not let the doctors talk you into releasing custody of your child.  Help will come. 

Have faith.

Be a Warrior Mom.

Navigating public opinion will be difficult.  DO NOT give into the easy out.  Continue to stand for you child.  Refuse to let your child go.  Fight, fight, fight.  Get your child what they need to survive and thrive.

If something knocks you down, get up, dust yourself off and get back into it.  Your child knows you are doing it even when it doesn't seem like it.

Ignore the people looking from the outside.  Ignore the people that tell you to give up and walk away or that you have "done enough."

Thriving - that is what we all want for our kids.  When people ask me why I keep fighting for my son, I tell them, "so that he can live and thrive." 

My son lives.  And he is getting help.  Ironically, he sleeps tonight based upon advice I gave the nurses.  He heard that I gave it and he uses it to go to sleep at night.  It wasn't our normal home life pattern but because I suggested it, he heard I suggested it, and then he used it to go to sleep.

Aw - sleep for a traumatized child is often hard.  I know Alex has struggled with it for years.  My poor sweetie.  When he was younger I used to hold him until he dropped off.  That is no longer an option.

On the home front.  His sister worries about returning to a non-home school situation because she does not want to be hurt like her brother was when he was at school.    I don't know what to do about that. 

No comments: