Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Monday, July 29, 2013

Home from the Trip

 That was a long trip.  I picked up Alex from the hospital and rushed to the airport to get on the plane.  By the end of the trip the father of a teenage boy sitting next to me was sad for me.  He was such a sweetie and offered to carry my bags for me.  A nice guy.  Every hour I checked the med list I was given at the hospital and then every hour I would pull the pills out and give them to my sweetie.  And yet, Alex was still borderline explosive.  After we transferred to the second plane I didn't think we would make it.  But we did.

We went to the facility this morning and Alex did the new typical RAD thing and pushed me away.  He got mad at me when I told staff about some of his escalation patterns.  He told me to make sure I sent a care box in the mail for him but refused to sit with me during lunch.

The facility seems like a place where some real progress can be made.  Ironically, they are considering putting Alex back on meds similar to what he was on when I adopted him.  They will run tests of course but their position is very similar to that of the Russian doctors.  Doctors here at home have known for the last year that Alex suffers from an auditory processing delay, or a processing disorder, but have done nothing to address the issue.  Where Alex is now does address issues like that as they occur within the brain.  The public school system that allowed Alex to be so horrifically bullied, assaulted, and abused refused even to consider attempting to accommodate this issue. 

So, we will see.  I wonder if the Russian doctors had it right about Alex from the beginning.  How many years has he struggled because the doctors I brought him home to were not as good as the wonderful Russian doctor I met that took care of Alex during the adoption process. 

The place Alex is now at has the same philosophy about bed-time, fun-time activities, routines and school that I have which is such a deep relief.  What is done in the home is based upon extensive training, many hours of therapy input and experience with my kids and foster kids. 

I am hopeful. 

No comments: