Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Life is quiet today ...

Work is insane but life with Sasha went okay. I have pretty much decided to take him out of school. While Sasha was making amazing progress on interacting with children, the administration at school is simply too pedantic. They remain narrow-minded and simply continue to attempt to "stuff"Sasha into their rules. Sasha has already had a lifetime of "stuffing" and simply will not comply. At home he is NEVER taught to simply comply. Not even if it would make my day a bit quicker.

What I have now learned is that when he disintegrated last week at school, there was a really good reason - it is just that no adult told the whole story. And kids already conditioned to abuse cannot tell us "why." A survivor such as Sash just simply makes sure he gets free.

Back to the school pedantic problem. It seems so silly really - they gave him a hearing test and the central office sent me a note that he had failed the test. A couple of things trigger for me at this point, once I realize what is going on.

No one told me they were going to do the test. Sasha totally disintegrates with any medical procedure, no matter how nice the person doing the testing. Hence my almost daily badgering of the clinics to ensure our regular interpreter, Veronica, is at all medical appointments. But the school did the test, even knowing he has been traumatized in such settings.

Sasha disintegrated to get away from the unsafe people at school performing medical procedures without his mom there or the interpreter that mom always makes sure is there when he is in scary situations. That is what would any of us do when so isolated from our protections and then forced to endure. We would all scream, yell and have to be physically subdued too. Anything to be free of the terror of pain.

Sasha is right, in his little boy way, the people at school are not safe. They traumatized him. For no good reason. So now I will work on what to do. I did not bring Sash home so as to have him subjected to further abuse. I will pound, into the ground, anyone who attempts anything more against this little boy who is my beloved son.

All school board events are now on my calendar. Nobody takes a swing at my kid anymore. Nobody.

That is not to say he wasn't an irritating little bugger tonight because he was - there was some serious "time-in" tonight. But I did not traumatize him when I gave him space for his humanity.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

That's right! We fight for our kiddos. That's why I got tired of listening to the school district tell me it was too soon for Vika's speech therapy. If I had listend to their logic, she'd still be undiagnosed with her hearing loss. Idiots. Always assuming everyone is a round peg that should fit perfectly in their round hole or they won't deal with them. Whatever. I cannot wait to see the looks on their faces when I tell them about the reality of it. I hope you find a good fit for Sasha and school, whatever that turns out to be.

Cindy

Carey and Norman said...

I agree that the school system should make parents aware of decisions they make and activities they plan to do (and get permission). For most, it is routine. For our little ones, it is not. Thinking of you and praying for your decisions.