Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Friday, February 6, 2009

And so the week ends

It is so peaceful tonight. This peaceful moment inspires me let everyone know how wonderful Sasha is doing. I always seem to focus on the gritty reality but, at the end of the day, I am so hopeful about everything. I just want to let people know what it looks likes on the flip side of adoption. I want to do it because nobody told me I would be standing in the bathroom with my son this morning while he notices his pee has turned red. He was cool (and not freaked out) so I played it off but that is the reality of what it takes to treat his TB exposure in conjunction with all the other stuff he takes. And if he cries, his tears will be red and they will probably stain anything they touch. So that is why I talk.

Everyday, Sasha is working so hard on having a good life. He wakes up happy and generally tries (most of the time - okay maybe only sometimes :) ) to comply with the general routine. Today Mom was convinced this would not be a school day so I started the "that's okay" approach with Sash and he was irate. Today was a school day for him. Last night, in his bath he had practiced counting and colors. He was ready for today. So to school we went. He all but dragged me down the hallway and then proceeded to right his stuff on his chair so he could begin his day. His teacher came over and asked me if I could please talk to Sash about the computer cords because the day before he had pushed his teacher's panic button about them. We had that conversation and I also told the teacher Sasha had been testing to see if he had the panic button. That teacher is so cool that he immediately understood and it was okay.

We have gotten through the drama of the week and my little angel sleeps. He tries so hard to be a good boy - despite all the obstacles. Sasha just finished two days of school wherein they failed to give him his meds both days. Unbelievable!!! Yet, Sasha hung in there and it was only on the second day I got a call, 20 minutes before he was due to leave that it "was time, he wanted to go home." He is such a strong and amazing child!! And he is working soooo hard at coping with it all.

Of course yesterday we had to see the doctor that works on his TB exposure issue so last night he was living a nightmare. We did not even weigh Sasha but only talked about the switching him to a med that would not interfere with all the stuff he currently takes. No matter - in Sasha's view of the world all doctors suck!!! We did the drama and trauma thing with him sitting on my lap screaming and tearing at everything LATE AT NIGHT while I have Mom on the phone giving me moral support. AND THEN IT STOPPED. It simply stopped. He then just went into his room and went to sleep.

I think that every time he sees a doctor all hell breaks loose - literally. I decided this morning that I had seen enough of the pattern that I now have all days after doctor visits ringed in red on my calendar so as to denote it as a hell day. On that red ringed day, I will be home to hold Sasha and he will be home so that in between the rants he can be held. There is nothing that can deal with this problem but time. What a silly thing time. It makes all of us old but it is a salve for the damaged. Given Sasha's dire medical condition we will be addressing that 10th level of hell Dante neglected to document.

Today, Mom took my little one to the general doctor's office (while I worked) to pick up a prescription and he started to freak out in the truck as she drove into the parking structure until she told him it was medicine for me. Then it was okay.
He sleeps tonight. Thank god.

1 comment:

Carey and Norman said...

You are unbelievably strong and I am so encouraged by your ability to work through each situation. You are doing a fabulous job with Sasha. I'm so glad that he is trying so hard and really wants to be happy!

I do agree that keeping it real helps as so many are afraid to say anything yet need help and advice. Thanks for being so honest!

Much love coming your way (and maybe a little carrot juice too :o)