Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Friday, October 3, 2008

We are in a difficult time right now. Sasha is in the process of totally flipping out. Things are hard. For a little boy who is having to take in so much there is an overload in process. Bathroom ettiquette, while joyfully embraced (he loves washing and drying his hands) was still so painfully new.

One night, when it was bathtime I noticed blisters on his feet and he told me the shoes the orphanage sent him in were too small. So the next day we went to buy him shoes and when I asked Irina to make sure he was okay with them (believe it or not he has clothing preferences which I learned about on a previous clothing buying trip) he told her he loved them because they were new. I do not know about you, the reader, but that is something that touched my heart. I never knew that the shoes put on my feet for the first time would be nothing if not new. Sasha's innocent observation is so deeply humbling.

The first time we went to the corner store he ran everywhere and touched everything. I bought so many bags of chip-like things he later refused to eat. It was all so overwhelming he could not listen to me and ran out the front door of the store and other adopting parents caught him (thank you Daniela, Chris and Chad - all parents of boys). The Babushka in the store lectured him about his behavoir and that he had to listen to his Mom. By the third trip he was still antsy but I had him accepting that he was responsible for a basket for our goods so that kind of kept him grounded. Of course the corner store trip is the tip of the iceberg.

There is the total lack of any life experience on his part. He has never seen a bald light bulb in a lamp so it took two attempted burns and other subsequent tries before he began to believe he could not touch a lit bulb. And the stovetop continues to be a source of neverending conflict. And then there is the microwave. It has a light and makes a ding when it stops. Sasha cannot wait work those buttons and heat things. Like for hours.

Sasha finally started to understand there was a different word for the park than the street. His life has been so isolated that he only knew the Russian word for street when he wanted to go outside. He does not understand the word for path (and I cannot find a Russian word for sidewalk). It took days for me to get him to understand the park was a separate place from the path.

That being said his behavoir has gotten way off the charts. The agency I adopted through only let me get about a sentence and a half out before they tell me it is my fault. They don't even know the problem and they still lay the blame at my feet. That is not helpful now.

And being at Vlad Inn has not been helpful for him. He has missed being with other children terribly. When we have found other children at the playground (it is a favorite for local parents to take their children to) it has not been enough since he is used to an orhanage full of children. Most of the other adopting families are here for young children so they are not really out about looking for playmates. When there are children here, our experience has been they are here for a birthday party so there are lots of children, balloons (which Sasha loves) and clowns. All of which he has not been invited to - so I am left with dragging Sasha past all of this. That totally sucks.

And that particular type of experience has sparked off at least three huge tantrums. The last one of which lasted for hours and hours. When I finally called one of the representatives here in Vlad so she could explain and verify what I had told him in Russian, it helped but for only a little while. So we struggle.

It was decided yesterday that Sasha should return to the orphanage for a few days. That was hard. I cried all the way through that. And I was so mad at everyone because they would not listen to me or help me and Sasha communicate. But in the end I decided it was best to go with all because it would give Sasha a way to create closure for himself. That is something I cannot do for him and others were reluctant to help with. But that is okay because my son is one self-sufficent dude. And closure he did. The night when it was decided I talked to Sasha about it and he was okay. I let him pack a bag with all his favorite food and toys.

I hear he was the hit of the orphanage. He spread all his treasures out on his old bed and regaled all with his stories of all his new experiences. The next day he asked about me and when I was coming back to get him. I miss him so much.

But for now I think it is best to leave him in the far away place. I miss him so much. I am so bored because everything I brought was for him (except my current cross stitch project) so I have nothing to do. I am able to watch the Russian and Asian stock markets here as the world teeters on word from America about the bailout but I am still bored, bored, bored. And heart-broken as I miss my son. I so hope this time gives him the closure he needs for his transition ahead. And so I wait.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sarah,
We miss you at home. My heart goes out to you and Sasha. You will get through this and will use this experience for later. Realize that it is an adjustment period for you both and THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT. Once you get home, you will be able to get into a routine and that will help the most.
Much thoughts and prayers and love.
Maggie

Carey and Norman said...

Dear Sarah,

I agree with Maggie that this is NOT YOUR FAULT and that once home with a schedule things will get better/easier. You are so confined in Vlad. Add the language barrier and lack of children to play with for Sasha, and it makes it even harder to adjust. Once you are home, you can do fun activities like go to the zoo or local park when he gets antsy or bored. It will also be nice for him to begin school once home to make new friends for you to meet on weekends for playtime. I agree that adopting an older child makes the initial transition harder. You are doing a great job and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. Raising a child is very different from culture to culture. Their idea of motherhood and ours is very different. You can not be expected to manage a child within days of adoption and still attach and bond the way you need. It will happen, I promise.

Much love and prayers coming your way.

Carey and Norman said...

Have you tried to talk to the Stencavages or Bill and Myra concerning adopting older boys. I send them a separate e-mail for help and suggestions as Moscow to me was even harder than Vlad (of course, we were there in the winter months).

I can forward you their personal e-mails if you do not have them.

debbiemetzger said...

Sarah,

I am not in your shoes, so any advice I could give would be wrong. This is not your fault. You are reaching out to a boy with no real life experiences as we know them and he will reach back in time. My prayers are with you and perhaps Bill and Myra would have some helpful tips for an older boy. My concern is for your travel and time in Moscow, Sasha may be so overwhelmed he will have trouble focusing on staying with you. It sounds like you are tackling this alone and it would be helpful if a family member or close friend could help you bring Sasha home, probably wishful thinking at this late date. My prayers will also be for a safe return for you and Sasha to your home back in the USA where you can begin to build a life together.

Older child adoption is not for the meek. I am sure you are up to the task and this is just a bump in the journey.

God Bless,

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Hi Sarah, I just found your blog through the CHI website and wanted to tell you that your son Sasha is precious and that I will pray for you that you will be reunited with him soon and that he will come to understand that you love him very much and only want what is best for him. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

True Story said...

Sarah,
This has got to be SO hard for you.
I am sending prayers your way for a peaceful heart.
Sandy
PS I am disappointed that your agency said it is YOUR fault. Do not believe that for a second.

MamaSten said...

Sarah,
Please e-mail me at us.army.mil if you have any questions and I'll get right back to you. I wish I could be there for you now. You are in our thoughts and prayers!!! It is NOT your fault!!! Irina only has a baby and Lana doesn't even have any kids, so what would they know? And, as much as I hate to say it, our agency sucks at post-adoption support (we've only heard from them once despite our numerous requests for information). I'll send you more information on your e-mail, but please know that it DOES get better!!! Our oldest would have 1-2 hour "tantrums" and I would just hold him and tell him that I love him and he would SCREAM and kick his legs and I would be emotionally and physically exhausted. And I would cry and wonder what in the world we were thinking when we adopted and I would pray and pray for it to get better or stop. But it only lasted a few times (over a few weeks) and he is now such a sweet, loving boy. He climbed onto my lap at church yesterday and hugged me and kissed me - he NEVER would have done that before! Our middle boy didn't react that way at first, but just started it this past week (I'll update the blog soon to give the details) and tonight I was able to hold him as he fell asleep without any fuss. It is such a GREAT feeling, but it takes a while to get there. You have such a great, positive attitude - you are a great mom, don't let anyone tell you any differently! I'll write more in an e-mail.
Take care,
d