Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Friday, October 10, 2008

We cleared the U.S. Embassy Today - Yeah!!

So Sasha and I did the embassy visit today to get his visa for entry into the United States. It is a pretty amazing experience. And I really did feel like I was walking back onto American soil even though a lot of the gatekeepers were Russian and there were a lot of Russians (waiting for their own immigration visas) right next to where the "baby people" were waiting. And most of the other families were there with babies. There was one other older boy but of course he was much calmer than Sasha. My son is one live wire. I felt really, really sorry for the other adoptive family that had to ride with us today because of course Sasha threw a totally outrageous tantrum in the van on the way to and from the embassy. And he was quite the little run-about crazy boy during the waiting process. He is still so overwhelmed that the new experiences really push his behavior out of bounds. But you know he is coping. At one point he set on my lap in the waiting room and we just kind of made sillies at one another. When I went to visit him in the orphanage back in March he would never show how important it was for me to be there when others were around. Yet, when everyone wasn't looking or out of the room, he would cuddle close and I would tell him I loved him in Russian.

It has become a kind of a game for us. He sits on my lap, leans back and then I am to whisper that I love him in Russian. He gives me the look, I repeat and then he leans in close to actually hear the words. It is kind of cute actually. And it is something he needs to hear. For me, I am happy to do that and it is often one of the few moments of calm in this really stressed out kid's day. At one point some of the other parents waiting at the embassy were looking at me sort of like - "are you insane - why this kid?" It is because of the moment when he smiles because he knows I really do love him. No matter what.

Enough of the mushy stuff. For most of the day he was a real problem. But then we got home (for him hotel rooms are home now) and while he wanted a bath and to go to bed he was a real trooper when I told we had to go to the pharmacy and the grocery store. And the bank.

My agency is still doing an awful job of actually helping with getting Sasha taken care of in the way he needs - medically. I told them when I got off the plane from Vlad that most of his liquid meds had spilled during the flight and that I needed help replacing them otherwise he tantrums non-stop. After I was dropped off with the other family by the driver today I called the agency and told them I still needed to replace those meds!!!! A few minutes later, they had a young translator call me and tell me to go to the pharmacy and then call her so she could talk to the pharmacist. And I needed to find Sasha apple juice. Hence the list of stops to make.

We went to the pharmacy first. It is difficult to juggle a young boy and tiny cell phone and try to tell the pharmacist, in my very broken Russian, what I needed. A really wonderful Russian man stepped in and translated everything for me. Apparently there is no way to get those meds without seeing a doctor. When I then called the translator to confirm, she said there was not a way that could be done. Clinics were closed and they were not open on the weekends. I told her the agency had to figure out something tomorrow - because the tantrums she has already witnessed are nothing if he is not medicated. I cannot get on planes without it. She did not leave me hopeful. My adoption agency totally sucks. I mean they totally suck.

Anyway, Sasha still needed apple juice and there just happened to be a market below the pharmacy. The front desk man had directed me to a local Russian pharmacy so that I could get a better price. What a sweetie. So we went to the seriously Russian local market. I loved it. It was so Russian. The stores we saw in Vlad were so "western" in comparison. Here produce was still in the boxes and things were either there or they were not. Since Sasha had helped me figure out what we needed earlier he was such a jewel at letting me know what we needed to find next.
And then there was the checkout line. In a typical Russian line formation.

We then went to the bank to exchange more dollars into rubles. Sasha and I had popped in earlier, before the pharmacy, saw the long line and left. When we came back Sasha and I sat down for a long wait. He was getting tired so he was doing a very good imitation of being a quiet boy. An older lady finishing up remembered us from before and turned to lecture the men in front of us about letting the mama with a little boy go before them. She was very, very stern to them. Made me sit up even straighter and caused my eyes to widen. Even I knew enough Russian to knew they were given strict marching orders. :) Then she left, in full glory. When the next person left a bank manager was on her feet motioning me into the exchange booth even before the men gestured for me to go ahead of them. It was so sweet. I, being the silly American, kept thanking everyone in Russian. And I could not believe Sasha was so good!!!!

That is the best thing about this whole process - the actual Russians on the street. I am so scared, especially with this little boy tagging along who has his moments, but the people have been absolutely wonderful. To a person. This morning, when we were checking out of the first hotel in Moscow, when people found out he was adopted, they gave him a stuffed toy from their gift shop. When I finally got to our new hotel in Moscow after the embassy visit the front desk person (his name was Alexander too - Sasha is the nickname) was elated to find out Sasha's name and that he was keeping it. He then let me know the bell hop who was going to help me to the room was also a Sasha. And I think he gave me a really nice room on purpose. It has a little hallway at the entrance that overlooks the front of the hotel which is a very, very nice view. I get so much crap from the agency who is actually supposed to help me with problems that the generosity of spirit from strangers in a strange land almost drops me to my knees.

And I think it has actually been good for Sasha. He sees the difficulty of daily life. Just finding apple juice, from his perspective is difficult. And he sees me being respected by other Russians and how hard I am working at it all. I had stopped in at a second pharmacy to see if we could get a better answer concerning the meds and the crush of humanity in there was horrific. And he sees how other Russian children act in public, also something he has never seen.

When we finally got to where he calls home tonight he was a real sweetie. He patiently waited for me to kind of whirl about the room while I unpacked and tried to decide about what to order from room service. He finally got to bathe which is his favorite thing to do of the day. Then he ate Siberian pelmani with me. And then off to bed. He looked for all his favorite stuffed toys. Three weeks ago he had none he could call his own. He went to sleep tonight without rocking. I actually cried a little when I saw that happen. So he sleeps. Thank god. And hopefully he will not start his day at 2 a.m. tomorrow.

Anyway, enough of the sappy stuff. It is pretty clear the adoption agency people will not help me get what Sasha needs before I leave Russia. They totally suck. I do not even know who to complain to - they were the resource for when things went wrong. But you know I got a glass ball from them that will probably put me over the weight limit so it is all good - right? Not. Not even a little bit.

5 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Oh Sarah,

I so feel for you. My heart goes out to you as you manage Moscow on your own. I too felt very alone in Moscow when we weren't doing adoption business. I felt that I too was left to fend for myself when I got so sick. Luckily, mom had the hotel staff call the EMT on my behalf.

We too saw that the Russians were so much friendlier when you have a child with you. Norman and I didn't see the hospitality that mom and I saw with our daughter on trip 3. They too would let us cut lines, get on the plane first, help with our luggage, etc. It was a very different and enjoyable experience. I'm glad you are seeing this same generosity.

I will pray for you and Sasha and your return trip home. God will be with you and help you along the way. He will provide for you resources even if they come from outside the agency.

As for the glass ball, ours made it to the trash prior to our trip home. I told our rep once home that giving a 5 pound glass paperweight prior to traveling home with a child wasn't a good idea. She didn't even realize that we were given those. Ha.

Best wishes and lots of love!!

MamaSten said...

Sarah,
You are in our prayers!
Have you tried calling the Embassy and/or the European Medical Center to get the meds? The European Med Ctr makes house calls and they work 24/7. I'm sure it may cost you a bit, but your sanity may be worth it and I'd appeal to our agency's head when you get home for them to pay 1/2 of the cost you'll end up paying. It is the least they can do. Now we understand the "REAL" reason they are closing offices - because they suck!
Take care,
d

True Story said...

Sarah, I am sorry your agency is not taking care of you. God is though.. baby steps. You are handling this wonderfully and things will get so much easier when you get home. I am praying for you!
Sandy

Bill and Myra said...

I have been following your blog from a link on Carey's blog. I am so sorry you have not had the support you needed. We have adopted 2 older boys (not at the same time) and know how difficult it can be. I never even knew we were supposed to get a glass ball. I have adopted with CHI twice and never even heard of it. Oh well, we were very close on our luggage weight (ha)!

If I can help at all, please do not hesistate to email me at toeppe@gmail.com. I don't know if you subscribe to my private blog or not (I am not good about keeping up with who has and who hasn't).

Please know I will keep you in my prayers. The first six months are tough but it is amazing how much love and boundaries (as well as being in your own home) will help! We have had some very good and some very bad days but after 2 months home, things are improving.

Again, if I can help, please let me know.

Myra

Carey and Norman said...

Hey. We are worried about you and checking in on your daily (actually more than once per day). Please give us an update as mom and I are concerned and want to ensure you're okay!!