Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Met with the Feeding Team today with Alex ...

Sounds kind of silly I know but there are people out there that specialize in coaching kids to eat.  Those awesome people came to see Alex today.  We all met before, talked about his medical situation, and then went to join him for lunch.  The team watched him eat and I watched the classroom. 

They have many ideas of how to address his issues.  My wonder boy eats but there are many ways he compensates for the problems his condition present to him.  His will to survive is awe inspiring. 

The team will find ways to help him eat better.  They can help him learn things about using his mouth that most of us take for granted.  We learned it all in babyhood.  Alex did not.  I am giddy with excitement about what they will put together for him.  Another step toward normal for him.

Back to me watching the classroom.  It was out of control.  In a B-room that is not good.  The classroom had already been cleared once and a particularly violent kid was in the principals office being suspended.  other kids were pushing into Alex's space.  A boy pushed his chair close to Alex and my son stood up and moved his chair a couple feet closer to me, away from the boy.  When I asked him why, he said, "that is one of the boys that hits me Mom."  And then he went back to eating.  My kid was doing what I taught him - he got out of striking range.  Good boy.

None of the teachers saw the interaction.

He got hit today of course.  He told me and the teacher confirmed but said it wasn't too bad.  Alex said it hurt and he did not like it.  After awhile I asked him if he wanted to go home.  He said no. 

I left and then later the teacher called me because Alex was seriously escalated.  I missed the call and did not return it.  What do people expect?

What I am also seeing is that Alex is fine when not subjected to violent behaviors.  At school he is expected to endure violence and assault from other kids.  When he blows apart when he can no longer endure, the teacher and others cannot adjust. 

Whatever.  The boy wonder will need to transferred again.  This is not the right place. 

I suspect that if Alex is not subjected to harmful behavior from others in his class, he will be fine.  He is in every other setting in his life. 

His recertification for IEP services is next week.  I suspect I will insist on a change of venue.  Alex is done with this scene.

other than that he is an awesome kid.  No problems at home or during after school activities - other than he is a nine-year-old boy.  And he continues to endure an amazing amount of doctor appointments with a calmness and sense of humor I do not think I could manage if I was in his shoes.  That scope alone would have sent me running for the hills, never to return.  Alex remains my hero. 

He is a seriously awesome young man.  I am lucky to be his Mom. 


No comments: