Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Sunday, July 26, 2009

"New Parent" v. the "Professional"

I think that I wrote awhile back that I was able to get Sasha into a school program that would deal with his PTSD issues. It was a difficult process. Once there I thought people would understand how daily life goes. Now I think maybe not.

Growing up my family often referenced a story by O. Henry about a child who was kidnapped and the kidnappers, instead of asking for ransom, asked to be able to pay so the child could come home. The child of the story was one that, while lovable, was still so problematic yet actualized, which made that child ungovernable by conventional methods. My family told that story about me. All my life the label of "red chief" was me.

And then I went to pick Sasha up from school on Thursday. (He is in a year around school that holds classes through July). As my mom noted, the principal saw me, strode over and couldn't wait to hand him over. From my perspective, I am not used to the principal walking Sasha out and I could not understand some of the verbiage that basically resulted in the hand off of "he is yours now." Others, like his teachers and para-educators, came up and tried to explain, but they were speechless. And they seemed like they were "worried for me."

My kid - when he is done accommodating a situation and decides to be "out of there" he has a large and interesting bags of tricks so as to make the adult puppets dance. That is what he did at school last week. He dropped the "experts" to their knees. And mom and I laughed all weekend. Red chief syndrome all over again. My mom has started calling him "junior" simply because it is so funny.

Yet, my son is showing how well is adjusting to being home. He is now simply just testing normal boundaries. Sort of like the peeing in his pants incidents. Last week, the first of his friends that maybe the first to not be killed or beaten into unconcsciousness so as to secure his compliance wet his pants in school last week. Two times, both accidents. Both times, Sasha elected to intentionally pee in school. In his words - "not an accident." Sash and I have discussed extensively and he meant to do "it."

Over the weekend Sasha came in from the yard and had "pee" in his pants both days despite there being a bathroom close to the backyard. Ironically, Sash HATES anything not clean, especially when it is him, so it shows how much he wants to protect his new friend in his attempts to create a "problem" at home.. On the second accident over the weekend he went into pull-ups. He is now in diapers until he sees that his attempts to protect his friend do not have an logical connection through his underwear. Boys!

Junior is Red Chief - Junior. What an amazing little boy!!!

1 comment:

Carey and Norman said...

Glad you are doing well and Sasha is enjoying his summer. I loved the pirate post! I loved seeing that big smile of his!