Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Monday, April 29, 2013

Sweeheart ran the other day but stayed home today

Alex climbed out of his second story bedroom window, crawled down a power line and spent the day playing before the police found him playing on a second story fire slide at the university and then attempting to jump from a window. 

That is the call I got - your son is threatening to jump from a scond story window.  I ran out of the house since it was just a mere block away yelling to my mom and daughter that Alex was jumping.  I got there he screamed at me and then the many policemen and firemen got him down.  Six people carried him and then held him to the guerney kicking and screaming while they strapped him down. 

I rode in the ambulance, just like I always do. 

We got to the new ER (the two others have banned us) and it was a different experience.  People got the attachment issue with Alex.  People were kind to me and saw me as helping instead of demonizing me.  What a difference a change of location makes.  The on call representative from the wrap-around service agency was there verifying everything.  After even enougth medication to drop a rhino was pumped into Alex he finally dropped.  The trauma brain of a child will resist much. 

I then took Alex home.  He woke up in the taxi and tried to fight before falling back asleep.  I carried into our home.  All the kids and hit the big bed in my room. 

Alex woke up today and tried really hard.  Trauma kids need  the boundaries gently set back into place after they test family love and I did that for him. We mostly sat and watched really old Disney G-rated movies like Cinderella and Peter Pan.

I made their favorite foods.  I tried to address the post-sugery issuse of Daria.  I am grateful we see our reconstructive surgeon tomorrow.  I gave the kids their preferred desserts and then put them to bed in the living room where I am.  We will all head to my room shortly for what remains of our night.

Do I worry about Alex - you bet.  The bullying trauma he suffered last year caused him to experience serever attachment issues.  Home life hasn't changed but how the trauma effected him within our home has been severe.

What happens at home really is not connected to what Alex does.  The other day when he climbed out the window, Alex woke up from a dream.  He was awake less than 10 minutes before he left that second story room.  When I later asked him why, he told me he stayed as long as he could.  And then he left.  Without shoes.  Without food.

Alex will do what he can.  I will sleep near him tonight.  I just hope I do not get that call again tomorrow. 

Children will do well if they can.  And when they cannot, parents need to be there for them. 

My little boy is still the best survivor I know.

No comments: