Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Is the path from Grief through Forgiveness?


I do not know.  Because my children still live I am not sure if my grief requires forgiveness.  Or maybe it does.  I think that part of my grief is from such a deep place of hurt - for the families, for the parents and for the lost children, I cannot see the way out.  Maybe we all need to forgive to ease grief.  I do not know.  I look to the Amish example of how they dealt with the massacre of their children in a school a few years back.  Two links below discuss what life looks like today because of the Amish approach of immediate forgiveness.  I am not Amish but I come from a family background that places gentleness and forgiveness at the front of tragedy. 

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/opinion/perspectives/the-amish-forgave-the-man-who-killed-five-of-their-children-but-the-storys-not-over-317153/

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-09-29/amish-schoolhouse-shooting/50609184/1

I think I am too lost in grief to be mad at anyone.  I guess I would have to point the grief toward someone or something before forgiveness would be an option.  I do know that gentleness and peace is desperately needed in order for a soul to heal.  Maybe forgiveness brings that.  Something to think about. 

No comments: