Everything That is Given Is Not What I Planned

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

We go to our first surgery tomorrow, please pray for us

There is so much work to be done, it seems overwhelming sometimes. Certainly the docs think so as is apparent when they tell he that his situation is "complex."

Tomorrow we begin that journey. My mama heart already cries. I cannot sleep.
But my son sleeps. He sleeps because he knows he will come home after being in surgery. He does not care about the things other kids would care about - like surgery, pain and blah, blah, blah. My son is only concerned about coming home after it all. He did not before. And there must be balloons. Lots and lots of balloons.

So he sleeps tonight. I ramble about the house fussing. It is all so out of my hands. My job is to now get him into surgery. That I will do.

I was whining at my Mom earlier today and she reminded me that this actually was the part that I signed up for when I adopted. My response was "yeah, yeah but who knew it would hurt my heart so much!!!!!"

But this is what this family does - I adopt cleft children. So tonight I weep as I pack and plan to cuddle him close several more times before surgery. Those cuddles are of course couched into our everyday life because corrective surgery is kind of what we do - everyday whether it being preparing for surgery or doing our speech and op exercises. It is what makes my son whole.


3 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh, I just now saw this post! I hope it went very well yesterday and everyone is OK, especially Sasha. I know he wants this very much, but it's a tough road to take no matter how much desire there is. With all this stuff in the news now and on talk shows about internationally adopted children and all the scary things that could be hidden, I can only think of you and Sasha and despite all the medical and emotional issues, it was your LOVE that DID make the difference. I'm always amazed at your strength! Vika and I are praying for you both.

Lots of love,

Cindy & Vika

wvamom said...

Praying for your family this week-hope Sasha has a speedy recovery.

Bill and Myra said...

Like Cindy, I just saw your post. I pray that all went well for your son (and for you!).

Myra